The CTE Solar Electrician/Teacher will plan, prepare, perform, monitor and evaluate all Solar installations by students. The successful candidate will be the on-site Supervisor over the students and support staff working on the jobsite. This is a hands-on role and will require performing electrical work associated with a complete solar installation. The individual working in this role will be responsible for providing a competency-based CTE course in Solar. The CTE Electrician/Teacher will lead and develop student skills in Solar Installation. This role will also ensure that all OSHA 29 CFR 1926 rules and regulations for safety within the Construction Industry are followed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to the following:
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Performs electrical work associated with a complete solar installations.
- Effectively lead a team while performing solar installations
- Plan jobs, organize materials, and teach a CTE hands-on solar program
- Performs electrical work while adhering to NEC and AHJ requirements for solar installs
- Ensure all installs conform to local building codes
- Maintain records of installations and submit appropriate records to FIELD
- Assesses student progress
- Participate in meetings, trainings, and professional development activities
- Promote and encourage a safe, positive, and respectful learning environment
- Hold daily safety meetings with students
- Provide a safe working environment for all students by ensuring all applicable OSHA rules and regulations are followed with regards to fall protection, ladder safety,
- Assists Director with securing contracts with solar companies for sub-contract work
- Communicate and collaborate regularly with CTE Director and classroom CTE Solar Teacher
- Leads day to day operations of the install crew and students
- Provides coaching, technical training, and performance feedback
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Knowledge of subject matter and resources relevant to assignment
- Skills in managing and promoting positive crew/student behavior
- Skills in organization, time management, and record keeping
- Strong computer skills
- Possess the skills needed to learn and utilize software and other technology in CTE instruction
- Ability to collaborate and communicate effectively with other professionals in a team setting
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to assist with developing the program
- Ability to contribute expertise in the development and implementation of policies, procedures and standards
- Ability to effectively express ideas orally and in writing
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- High School Diploma, or equivalent, required
- Must have knowledge of current national, state and local electrical codes
- Must have a minimum of 3 years prior experience performing solar installations (24 completed units of college level coursework can be credited in lieu of 1 year of experience)
- Must have experience with NFPA 70E Arc Flash Protection (Certificate Preferred)
- Possession of a Bachelor’s Degree (BA/BS), or post-secondary Solar certificate from an accredited institution preferred
- Previous experience working in a CTE class setting preferred
- Experience with contract negotiation preferred
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Must hold or have the ability to obtain a preliminary California CTE credential authorizing service for the Sector in which employed within 1 month of hire date
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Must have a valid C-10 or a General B Contractor’s license or must obtain one within 6 months of date of hire
- OSHA 30 Certificate for Supervisors is highly recommended
Must be able to travel as needed/required
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret documents, reports,
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Subject to Livescan and tuberculosis clearance
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to ﬁnger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, sit, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is required to walk and stoop, kneel, crouch, and or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 40 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Speciﬁc vision abilities required by this job include close vision. Ability to work on rooftops, which requires frequent bending, twisting, squatting, climbing, kneeling, crawling, turning, and balance.
Ability to work in conﬁned spaces such as attics, basements, and crawl spaces require kneeling and crouching. Ability to work while wearing heavy protective equipment such as arc ﬂash suits, gloves, and face shields. The ability to work within a safe range of equipment such as ladders, fall protection harnesses, and other protective equipment. Prolonged periods of working on a Construction site in extreme hot and cold temperatures.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is often exposed to outside weather conditions and risk of electrical shock. Ability to work in outdoor weather conditions including but not limited to excessive noise, extreme heat, extreme cold, wet environment, and humidity. Ability to walk on roof tiles and roof shingles without damage.