California Dairies, Inc. is the largest member-owned milk marketing and dairy processing cooperative in California producing 40 percent of California’s milk. Co-owned by nearly 400 dairy producers who ship 16 billion pounds of Real California Milk annually, California Dairies, Inc. is a manufacturer of quality butter, fluid milk products and milk powders.
As the leading source of dairy nutrition for a healthy world, we provide safe and reliable high quality dairy products to a growing and more affluent world. This is achieved within a culture that is built upon performance and mutual success.
We are looking for dedicated and talented individuals who will work as a team to achieve the company’s goal of becoming a global market leader. With six plant locations across the state, California Dairies, Inc. provides exciting career opportunities throughout California.
We offer a generous benefits package that includes:
- family medical/dental/vision
- retirement plans
- paid holidays
- paid vacation
- tuition reimbursement
- loss prevention and safety bonus programs
Essential Functions List of significant/essential duties, tasks and/or responsibilities required of this position.
- Maintain the implementation of the Contractor Management system. Verify contractor credentials and participation.
- Coordinate the maintenance of records for the Process Safety Management (PSM) program including maintaining a calendar of mandated events and scheduling those events utilizing APSM.
- Assist in maintenance of records for the Risk Management Plan (RMP/Cal-ARP). Follow up on planned events as assigned by STM.
- Provide information and updates to the STM to maintain the accuracy of the ISN and APSM databases.
- Work with the STM to update training programs for OSHA required safety courses.
- Collect and report all safety related objective results on a monthly basis.
- Assist with annual Lock Out/Block Out inspections.
- Assist with annual Lock Out/Block Out procedure reviews.
- Conduct Training classes on shift as assigned.
- Conduct workplace inspections as assigned.
- Develop other training courses as requested by STM.
- Coordinate the maintenance of records for assigned locations.
- Review Chemicals as required to maintain SDS through MSDS Online.
- Conduct Behavioral Observations.
- Conduct Job Hazard Analysis.
- Research safety problems as requested by STM.
- Report violations of company policies, procedures, and working rules to management.
- Follow all safety and working rules.
- Must have the ability to get along with co-workers, management personnel, customers, vendors, and employees in accordance with the company policies and working rules while ensuring a harmonious and conducive work environment.
- Maintain a positive attitude and contribute towards a quality environment.
- Excellent regular full time attendance in support of company objectives.
- Use initiative and judgment in making decisions, keeping with California Dairies Inc. best interests.
- Perform other duties as assigned by management.
Directing the work of personnel hired to work on safety related programs and giving instruction and help needed for the employees to achieve their goals.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must have the ability to troubleshoot and research problems and be persistent until a solution is found.
- Must be able to manage multiple priorities.
- Must work in a safe manner and follow all safety procedures including use of safety equipment.
- Must be willing to ask for assistance when the process is unclear.
- Must have ability to possess 30 hour OSHA Certification.
- Board Certified Safety Professional designation STS/ASP/CSP preferred.
Education and/or Experience
- A Bachelor of Science Degree, and four years of experience in a leadership role is desired. Absent the desired degree in Dairy, Food Science or Environmental Health and Safety, additional dairy manufacturing experience, particularly in a leadership role involving safety and Cal-OSHA training may be considered.
- College level verbal and written communication skills.
- Leadership, team development, coaching, and/or teaching experience.
- Good math and statistical skills.
- Excellent computer skills for data input, report writing, program tracking.
- Excellent understanding of Microsoft Office including Access and Excel.
- Excellent organizational and follow through skills.
- Ability to self-direct work to a timely completion.
- Board Certified Safety Professional designation STS/ASP/CSP preferred.
A well-modulated tonal volume is required with excellent diction skills needed.
Must have the ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions given in written, oral, or diagram form. Must have the ability to discern when issues may require input from levels or authority within the corporation. Must have ability to read, Interpret, and convey applicable regulatory requirements and regulations.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Must possess or be able to obtain 30 hour OSHA Certification and an Industrial Lift Operator’s “Train the Trainer” certificate. Board Certified Safety Professional designation STS/ASP/CSP preferred.
The Company will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and California’s Fair Employment and Housing Act.
The Company is an equal employment opportunity employer.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The company will make reasonable accommodations that do not cause an undue hardship if such an accommodation enables individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Sitting/Standing/Walking: Stands or walks throughout training, plant inspections, and completion of job responsibilities.
- Lifting/Carrying: Occasional lifting requirements as job demands. Must be able to lift a minimum of 40 lbs. on an occasional basis.
- Pushing/Pulling: Occasional pushing or pulling requirements.
- Bending/Stooping: Occasional bending and stooping requirements.
- Squatting/Kneeling/Crawling: Occasional kneeling or crawling requirements.
- Twisting/Turning: Ongoing twisting or turning requirements.
- Climbing/Balancing: Climbing and balancing is required during plant inspections, and other related job requirements.
- Reaching: Ongoing reaching requirements associated with job requirements.
- Grasping/Manipulating: Grasping and manipulating of papers, objects and equipment will be required. Ability to keyboard for data input will be required on an ongoing basis.
Operates personal computer to enter data and run reports; radios security or managerial staff and other standard office equipment.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those and employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties. Employees will be subject to temperatures associated with an air-cooled room to temperatures in excess of 100 degrees Fahrenheit while working in proximity to dryer and to wet environments (hot or cold) during cleaning-in-place (CIP) operations. May be required to enter confined spaces to perform equipment inspections.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and requirements, which may change from time to time based on business needs. When appropriate, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Innovative: Consistently introduces new ideas and demonstrates original thinking
- Leader: Inspires teammates to follow them
- Team Player: Works well as a member of a group
- Loyal: Shows firm and constant support to a cause
- Enthusiastic: Shows intense and eager enjoyment and interest
- Functional Expert: Considered a thought leader on a subject
- Detail Oriented: Capable of carrying out a given task with all details necessary to get the task done well
- Dedicated: Devoted to a task or purpose with loyalty or integrity
- Peer Recognition: Inspired to perform well by the praise of coworkers
- Ability to Make an Impact: Inspired to perform well by the ability to contribute to the success of a project or the organization
- Self-Starter: Inspired to perform without outside help
- Goal Completion: Inspired to perform well by the completion of tasks
- Flexibility: Inspired to perform well when granted the ability to set your own schedule and goals
Bachelors or better in Safety Management or related field.
4 years: Safety Supervisor