Since 1936, E.M. Tharp Inc. has been in the Trucking Business, originally starting out in commercial hauling business and 25 years later moving into a different direction selling and servicing trucks and then expanding into to parts and repair side of the business also. Starting the business in the Porterville area under the E.M. Tharp Inc umbrella the company has since expanded and includes Golden State Peterbilt in both Bakersfield and Fresno and Kroeger Equipment and Supply, Viking Trailer Corporation and American Truck Parts.
E.M. Tharp Inc. continues to be a family owned business with Morris Tharp as President and son Casey as the Vice President/General Manager. The company continues to be a leading force within Central California’s transportation industry. The family led company has an average of 245 employees throughout all of its locations and is currently looking for a Safety Manager that possess a positive attitude, is committed to continuous improvement and is passionate about continuing to move the companies safety program forward in a positive manner.
The position is responsible for developing and managing the company Safety Program, fleet program and the corresponding laws that relate to the safety of our work, for all locations.
- Administer, direct and manage compliance with the company safety program and incident prevention efforts to ensure company safety goals are met. This includes the authority and ability to change and/or adjust work procedures as may be required to ensure the safety of affected employees and the general public.
- Initiate perform and document jobsite inspections and audits with special emphasis on hazard recognition and unsafe behaviors.
- Develop, initiate, coordinate and conduct safety meetings and training programs to ensure the effective communication of company policy and safety standards.
- Coordinate and participate in regulatory agency inspections and investigations to ensure compliance with federal and state regulations.
- Investigate, prepare and maintain a record of all asset loss and workers compensation claims to make certain that the interests of the company are preserved.
- Coordinate return to work program to insure reduced workers compensation costs.
- Coordinate the fleet safety program
- Associate or bachelor’s degree in Safety related field a plus or 2 plus years’ experience in a dedicated safety role
- First Aid/CPR certification, Instructor certification or the ability to obtain
- Ability to obtain Certification as a Forklift Instructor
- Valid California Driver’s License
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of California Environmental Reporting System (CERS)
- Knowledge of Department of Toxic Substance Control Requirements (DTSC) and Hazardous Materials
- Knowledge of and experience with California Injury/Illness reporting and recoding criteria, Completing OSHA 300 Logs
- Knowledge, experience and ability to navigate CalOSHA regulations
- Experience in incident investigation and documentation
- Ability to work independently and in high pressure situations
- Extensive knowledge of Fire Protection systems and local requirement for fire protection systems
- General knowledge of metal and automotive tools and equipment as well as it pertains to safe use
- Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to write and implement new safety programs
- Strong analytical ability and problem-solving skills
- Ability to teach, mentor and lead.
- Ability to make independent judgments to manage and facilitate company programs/policies as they relate to the safety of our work.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. from the floor to the waist.
- Ability to climb stairs and ladders
- Ability to work in outdoor heat
- Salary based upon qualifications
- Company vehicle and fuel card provided
- Full benefits package available including medical, dental, vision and 401K
It is the desire of the company to have the successful candidate maintain an office at the Corporate location in Porterville, but will consider having Bakersfield or Fresno as the main office. The successful candidate will be required on a weekly basis to visit all locations.
Any Interested parties should submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org