ASI Operations currently has an opening for a Health & Safety Technician for its Mojave Solar Plant in Hinkley, CA. The plant is approximately 15 miles west of Barstow, CA. Incumbent will provide site specific, day-to-day monitoring of maintenance and operations activities. Maintains safety programs to ensure safe, healthy and accident-free work environment in accordance with Company policies, Federal and State regulations. Promotes safety by indoctrination, training, and orientation of personnel as well as field audits. Forward reporting and effective communication to the H&S Manager.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Become thoroughly familiar with all Company and site specific safety policies and procedures, and propose revisions as appropriate.
- Conduct regularly scheduled safety audits and communicate results to management with proposed corrective actions.
- Be aware of and monitor maintenance and operation activities to ensure compliance with safety procedures and safe work practices.
- Ensure that employees use the proper personal protective equipment.
- Assist in managing an existing Safety Program through Job Site Assessments to evaluate safe work practices.
- Interact with all levels of the organization and maintain a strong presence in the maintenance areas to create and uphold a positive, safe and compliant work environment
- Act to eliminate/prevent potentially hazardous or unsafe conditions.
- Ensure that fire systems and firefighting equipment is maintained in proper working condition and periodic maintenance and certification of fire protection systems is current.
- Coordinate and conduct training throughout the organization that covers the applicable areas including legal requirements and assures that all employees are adequately trained to perform their job in a way that is safe to themselves, their coworkers, the public and environment.
- On a continuing basis, become familiar with federal, state and local regulations, statutes, orders, and standards.
- Maintain required files and documentation.
- Attend safety meetings and interface with Site Safety Administration as required.
- Complete assigned training requirements.
- Coordinate and support the organizations activities in the continued certification of ISO 9001 Quality Management System, ISO14001 Environmental Management System as well as OHSAS 18001 Occupational Health and Safety Management System.
- Minimum OSHA 30 hours, HAZWOPER 40 hours and First Aid/CPR current certification required
Skills and Abilities
- A strategic individual with good judgment and strong ethical standards.
- Must have strong problem solving and planning skills.
- A well-organized individual who can relate to management, line workers, government officials, customers, and visitors.
- Basic working knowledge of MS Office; Word, Excel, Power Point, Access, SAP.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and in a team-environment.
Essential Job Functions
The ability to speak, read and write in English. Ability to perform physical work, occasionally exerting up to 50 pounds of force with assistance, 25 pounds of force on a frequent basis, and up to 20 pounds constantly, performing such activities as grasping, lifting, reaching, crouching, standing, walking, running, climbing, stooping, kneeling, pulling, sitting, and repetitive tasks. Ability to perform Emergency Response Team activities including wearing emergency equipment, such as respirators and fall protection.
Works in normal power plant environment. Potential exposure to hot, cold, sudden change of temperature, dry, wet, dusty, quiet, noisy, moving objects, exposure to sun and rain, high places, and working alone or with others. Potential hazards include minor cuts, minor burns, electrical shock, falling objects, falls, eyesight and hearing impairment as well as exposure to chemical materials. Wearing of personal protective equipment is necessary, as is the ability to legally operate Company vehicles.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law