With approximately 85,000 planted acres in California’s San Joaquin Valley, Wonderful Orchards is the world’s largest grower of almonds, pistachios and pomegranates. Wonderful Orchards is a part of The Wonderful Company, a privately held $4 billion global company dedicated to harvesting health and happiness around the world through its iconic consumer brands which include Wonderful Pistachios, Wonderful Halos, POM Wonderful, FIJI Water, Teleflora, and JUSTIN Wine.
Wonderful Orchards is seeking an Field Safety Specialist to support field operations in Kern County – Shafter/ Wasco. As a Safety Specialist, you will be responsible for taking on a hands-on approach by doing in-field visits to our farming locations and communicating with various levels of management to enhance the company’s safety culture. Work requires a high degree of organizational skills and a desire and willingness to learn the organization’s business operations. This position reports to the Safety Manager.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Observes work activities, reports safety observations and provides suggestions for process improvement
- Conducts safety and environmental compliance assessments
- Conduct English and Spanish pre-harvest safety training, CPR training, safety related training and help develop training (SME’s) Subject Matter Experts
- Conducts job safety analysis walks, field and shop inspections, harvest, spray and irrigation activity assessments for system improvements
- Communicates safety related matters to company utilizing emails, technology devices while facilitating safety tailgate meetings and bulletin boards.
- Coaches managers and employees on proper safety procedures and safety gaps and opportunities.
- Assists Operations in the transport of injured employees to medical offices.
- Investigates incidents to identify causes or to determine how such incidents might be prevented in the future.
- Recommends measures to help protect workers from potentially hazardous work methods, processes, or materials.
- Inspect or evaluate workplace environments, equipment, or practices to ensure compliance with safety standards and government regulations.
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications include, but are not limited to the following:
- Associates degree in Occupational Health, Business Administration, Human Resources or related field and 3+ years’ experience in-field safety leadership preferred; or equivalent combination education and experience.
- Knowledge of OSHA/ CALOSHA regulations
- Proficient in Microsoft office products
- Must exhibit a safety mindset and safety culture
- Bilingual English/ Spanish — verbal and written
Specific Knowledge, Skills, Licenses, Certifications
- Ability to prioritize tasks and multitask
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Public speaking and presentation skills
- Highly organized, punctual and responsible
- Active problem-solver and results-oriented
- Ability to work well in a team setting
- Must possess a valid CA driver’s license and have a satisfactory driving
This job operates predominately in an office environment. This role will be exposed to shop, warehouse, lab and field conditions under typical yearly Central Valley California climatic conditions – temperature, dust / gas / fumes, noise, sunlight. Orchard conditions are extreme, with summer temperatures regularly exceeding 100 F°.
Why choose Wonderful?
- Competitive benefits package including Medical, Vision, Dental, 401k, Bonus potential
- Continued training and generous Education Reimbursement Program
- Paid Sick, Vacation, Personal and holiday time
- Wonderful Giving (wonderfulgiving.com) — allowing you to donate company money to a cause of your choice
- Wonderful Wellness Clinic — Free on-site resource for physicals, check-ups, immunizations, health screenings, pediatrics (for children 5 years of age and older), basic mental health and/or social services, and physical therapy; most prescriptions are provided on-site and completely free.
Wonderful Orchards and The Wonderful Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and with opportunities for advancement. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories.
To learn more about The Wonderful Company, its products and core values, visit www.wonderful.com