The EHS Manager is responsible for managing the organizational Environment Health & Safety (EHS) processes for the Agricultural Operations of Olam Spices and Olam Tomatoes to ensure a safe and accident-free work place and preservation of the environment. The EHS Manager leads the process to train managers and employees in work site EHS practices. This position will inspect the organization’s facilities and planting and harvest equipment to detect existing or potential accident hazards and determine corrective or preventive measures. The EHS Manager will follow-up to ensure compliance. This position will oversee the investigation of workplace accidents, root cause analysis and monitor corrective action implementation. The EHS Manager will maintain accident reports required by regulatory agencies and will works with corporate EHS leaders to reduce injuries and lost work time and maintain environmental compliance and preservation.
- Manage EHS programs for the Ag Operations facility in Hanford, CA as well as the harvest locations for Olam Spices and Olam Tomatoes to ensure a safe and accident-free work environment.
- Oversee EHS processes to provide the road map to zero injuries and world class performance.
- Plan and deliver programs to train managers and employees in work site EHS practices.
- Study causes of industrial and agricultural accidents and recommend EHS processes to address areas where the organization may be at risk.
- Inspect facilities and harvest equipment to detect existing or potential accident hazards and determine corrective or preventive measures.
- Establish plant and agricultural EHS policies/procedures to ensure compliance with company policies and federal/state/local regulatory requirements.
- Promote plant EHS by working with all departments to analyze current situations and recommend EHS improvements.
- Analyze incident data to identify trends and incident types that can be prevented.
- Oversee the incident investigation process to determine root cause and timely corrective action.
- Manage and establish objectives for the overall EHS program.
- Track progress and publish results on current EHS objectives and metrics.
- Drive EHS process ownership to the floor level where appropriate.
- Develop training programs for all levels of plant and field employees with the objective to have a safer, more efficient, engaged and productive plant and field department.
- Manage and monitor training programs to meet EHS requirements.
- Assure all records are kept in accordance with State and Federal regulations including OSHA logs and training documents.
- Develop, implement and recommend programs and practices designed to reduce work-related injuries and illnesses including but not limited to ergonomic assessments and job hazard analysis.
- Work with Human Resources to follow-up on Workers’ Compensation cases with a focus on returning employees to work following work place injuries.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree is required, major in Environmental Science, Environmental Engineering, Occupational Health, Industrial Hygiene, EHS Engineering or another related field is preferred.
- Ten (10) years EHS management experience in an agricultural and/or manufacturing environment is required. Experience should include:
- Experience in hazard recognition, evaluation and analysis, and development and implementation of control processes.
- Experience leading and influencing and collaborating with cross-functional teams.
- Experience in developing and managing training programs to promote workplace health and safety.
- Experience with Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) development and training delivery.
- Experience working with data, database applications, and reporting (SAP-EHS, TREO, etc.)
- Knowledge of EHS equipment.
- Knowledge of safety, industrial and environmental testing methods.
- Experience in providing technical support to adhere to EHS policies.
- Ability to travel and work overnight during the harvest season up to 30% is required.
- Demonstrated skill in training, development and implementation of health and EHS programs is required.
- Applied knowledge and working understanding of OSHA, regulatory compliance, experience with inspections, incident investigations, process safety, contractor safety, EHS training, hazard reviews, and job EHS analysis is required
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office programs Excel, Word, Access, PowerPoint, SharePoint is required.
- Strong organizing, planning, analytical problem-solving and decision making are required.
- Management experience in organizational culture change is required.
- Resilience, persistence, and optimism is required.
- Strong oral and written communication skills are required.
- Bilingual — English/Spanish is required. Ability to speak, read, and interpret documents in English and Spanish such as EHS rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
- Ability to train on the use of diagnostic equipment/tools. Ability to write in English routine maintenance reports or correspondence.