ERM is hiring Construction Safety Observers for Vegetation Management – Electric Transmission & Power Lines for the Northern California Area. This is a full-time, project-based opportunity focused on providing contractor safety management support, including: inspecting, observing, advising, and coaching related to safe work practices for vegetation management along electric transmission and distribution right-of ways. This safety management support will focus mainly on ensuring safe work practices related to work around energized electric transmission and power lines, vegetation clearing, tree felling, snag removal, tree topping (working at heights), fall protection, chipping, heavy equipment use and related activities in support of vegetation management for right-of-way maintenance.
As a Construction Safety Observer, you will engage with client and contractor team members in the field to facilitate safe work practices, identify hazards and advise mitigations, embrace client safety culture expectations, adhere to applicable project permits, and assist contractors to maintain compliance with the client’s Contractor Safety Program elements and other applicable safety regulations/requirements by local, state, and federal safety agencies. This position works to promote a safe work environment by confirming that contractors and the project team, at a minimum, clearly understand the roles and responsibilities related to work at heights, arborist safety, heavy equipment safe practices, hand-held tool safety; identifying known hazards; and communicating policies, standards, and procedures applicable to the work. The role includes responsibility of timely notification to management and the safety team about any safety issues.
- Work schedule is 6 days per week (Monday through Saturday), 10 to 12 hours per day, operating in the field at sites throughout Northern California.
- Promote safety during vegetation management activities, including tree trimming, removal and felling, crane removal of downed trees, and traffic control activities.
- Initiate and/or participate in safety kick-off, periodic or daily safety meetings with contractors.
- Function as Subject Matter Expert (SME) on Federal, State, and local laws, rules, regulations and ordinances, including, but not limited to, DOT, EPA, OSHA, Cal/OSHA, ANSI, and CPUC.
- Perform construction safety field observations as established by the frequency and level for each contractor and subcontractor in accordance with the contractor’s client accepted site safety and project safety plans and job hazards analysis.
- Provide on-site occupational safety support to identify, prevent, and mitigate safety risks.
- Document and retain safety documents in accordance with client requirements.
- Assign and/or coordinate with team members to address corrective actions, and communicate as appropriate with team members to prevent repeat occurrences.
- Receive safety-related questions and provide reliable feedback and instruction.
- Share safety information to all in an impactful, constructive, and results-oriented manner.
- Communicate safety trends and recommend safety corrective actions.
- Prepare safety observation and improvement reports to Management and/or client following an incident or high-potential consequence near miss.
- Support compliance with applicable programs (e.g., PPE, work at height, and electric stand-off procedures).
- Capable of identifying existing and predictable hazards in the surroundings or working conditions that pose mitigable risk or danger to employees and the public.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in construction, vegetation management, or safety within the power utility sector.
- Experience in field safety oversight for vegetation management related activities.
- Technical expertise including, but not limited to lifting/rigging , working from heights, heavy equipment safety, personal protective grounding, minimum approach distances.
- Ability to wear appropriate PPE.
- Have previous training, knowledge, or experience related to the work to be performed and knowledge of the appropriate mitigation measures for the associated hazards.
- Familiar with Cal/OSHA safety regulations and requirements.
- Successful candidates must pass the following pre-employment requirements prior to beginning employment: drug screen, background check.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and good driving record.
- Bilingual in Spanish/English preferred, including ability to lead daily site safety meetings.
- Experience working in or overseeing field activities requiring qualified line clearance arborists (QLCAs).
- Certified Utility Safety Professional (CUSP).
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) certification, or similar.
- Specialized experience overseeing and inspecting construction contractors working near high voltage electrical power lines, in support of vegetation management in utility right of ways.
- Have formal training to identify and mitigate hazards associated with specific high-risk activities.
ERM does not accept recruiting agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, ERM employees or any other company location. ERM is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.