Nichols Farms is one of the top processors of pistachios in the United States. For more than two decades, Nichols Farms has maintained superior quality and exceptional service in supplying pistachio and almond products to major retail and wholesale clients domestically and internationally. Nichols Farms maintains a state-of-the-art processing facility at their corporate headquarters in Hanford, California, employing over 350 employees. Join the Nichols Farms Team in their objective of continued growth. Nichols Farms possesses a strong employee-oriented environment dedicated to training and growth of team members.
The Nichols Farms Mission and Vision supports a culture of striving for mutual success of our employees, suppliers and customers through operational excellence and educational development.
The Environmental Health and Safety Manager is responsible for driving and developing a strong safety culture. Responsible for implementing programs and training to create a safe and injury free work environment. Maintain and develop Safety and Environmental programs and implement related strategies. Ensure compliance with all OSHA and Environmental federal, state, and local regulations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Continuously evaluate the safety culture and environment, identify opportunities for improvement, and implement effective workplace safety strategies.
- Develop and implement best Safety practices for a safe work environment.
- Lead and engage all levels (from senior leadership to all team members) of the organization in our work safe culture, practices and strategies, including safety leadership committee and safety teams.
- Oversee and manage all safety and environmental incident, near miss and property damage investigations, including root cause analysis, assuring incident reports are completed timely. Communicate and promote awareness of incidents and how they can be prevented throughout all levels of the organization for continuous improvement.
- Communicate incidents and safety metrics compared to company history and the industry by preparing and delivering monthly reporting to all Directors, senior management, and safety committee.
- Assist in Workers’ Compensation reporting, including investigation and case management.
- Work directly with health care providers to manage workers’ compensation cases for the mutual benefit of the employees and the company.
- Responsible for the creation, development, implementation and monitoring of Safety and Environmental Health curriculum, training, and recordkeeping. Maintain EHS application software for management, documentation and reporting of all EHS programs and reporting
- Participate in Plant and Farm audits and site visits as required. Communicate findings and develop resolution strategies.
- Maintain and further develop safety inspection program. Perform safety inspections (equipment, processes and behaviors) regularly at strategic intervals, and engage with Plant and Farm Operations personnel to conduct regular inspections and improve safety standards based on findings.
- Develop proposed recommendations for implementation to keep the employees safe and to be in compliance with all federal, state and local regulations.
- Ensure compliance with OSHA Programs, such as Heat Prevention Illness, Hearing Conservation, Respirator Program, as well as Construction or Expansion Projects.
- Responsible for Air Pollution Compliance, and Hazardous Material Business Plan.
- Maintain, execute and further develop Safety Training Programs, including Pesticide Safety, Forklift Safety, Tractor Safety, ATV safety, CPR First Aid, Confined Space, Lock-out Block-Out, Fire Safety, Hazardous Communication, and a variety of other safety topics
- Oversee all Safety OSHA, DPR, and DOT Logs and reporting.
- Perform all duties in accordance with SQF (Safety Quality Food) and GMP (good manufacturing practices) established company policies and procedures.
- Support all shifts, to include periodically providing third shift visibility/training as needed, as well as occasionally present on a Saturday or Sunday during Harvest Season.
- Directly Supervise Safety Department; provide guidance, coaching and direction to Safety staff.
- Perform other tasks and special projects as assigned.
- Leadership – Ability to influence others to perform their jobs Safely and effectively and to be responsible for making decisions
- Time Management: Ability to utilize the available time to organize and complete work within given deadlines.
- Prioritization: Ability to quickly prioritize among numerous pressing tasks and manage multiple priorities and deadlines.
- Communication: Excellent verbal and written skills, as well as ability to make presentations.
- People Development: Ability to develop and coach team, and to identify team member opportunities and strengths.
- Goal Orientation: Attention to establishing and achieving goals and objectives for self and team on a continuous basis.
- Team Involvement: Works effectively with teams and work groups. Actively participates in problem solving and interacts with team and work groups to achieve team and organizational goals.
- Continuous Improvement: Active participant in continuous improvement initiatives and goals. Seeks opportunities to improve self and processes.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- BS Degree in Occupational Health; Safety Science; Environmental Science; Engineering or related field preferred.
- Minimum seven years’ experience in Environmental Heath and Safety Managerial role in food processing or manufacturing. Ag Experience in Farm, Orchard and Irrigation Safety preferred.
- Proficient in Excel, Word, PowerPoint.
- Must be bilingual in Spanish.
- Strong Project Management and analytical skills.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, stand for periods of time at work station and other work areas, climb stairs including high heights and reach with hands and arms. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and depth perception. Ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as designated by the company.
The job responsibilities for this role is performed in a manufacturing environment which may include high levels of noise and as well as perform work in an outdoor environment. Working in outdoor conditions can include extreme cold, heat, or humidity; and sometimes can include work in dusty or muddy work conditions. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job description is intended to provide guidelines for job expectations and the employee’s ability to perform the position described. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate. This document does not represent a contract of employment, and the Company reserves the right to change this job description and/or assign tasks for the employee to perform, as the Company may deem appropriate.